We recommend that you visit Sedro-Woolley Family Dental Center for teeth cleaning every six months. During this visit, your dentist will examine your teeth and gums for overall health and address any issues that require treatment. Your dentist will perform teeth cleaning as part of your checkup.
The Professional Teeth Cleaning Process Include
Professional cleaning, or prophylaxis, usually includes:
- removal of tartar and plaque
- Fluoridation (though, not all dentists do this)
After a dental hygienist completes these steps, your dentist will complete the rest of your checkup like this:
- Flossing your teeth is the first step. You will then be cleaned with specialized tools. Using tickling vibrations and a cooling mist of water, your hygienist can use an ultrasonic instrument to remove larger pieces of tartar. Your hygienist will also use scalers and curettes to gently remove tartar deposits from your teeth. These curved, pointed, and sharp tools should not hurt when used properly. These tools can be metal or plastic for patients with dental implants.
- Then the teeth are polished by hand with a rubber tip that spins. Your hygienist will fill the tip with prophylaxis paste (you can usually pick your favorite flavor) and then smooth and polish the teeth.
- If your dentist uses fluoride, it will be applied now. The acids in tartar and plaque may have weakened the surface of the teeth.
- In cases of missed cleanings or excessive plaque and tartar buildup, cleanings can take up to an hour. While cleaning your teeth can be awkward, it should never be painful. We do our best to make your visit pleasant and painless
In Case of Pain
If you feel pain or discomfort, please let your dentist know about it. Cleaning can be painful if you have exposed dentin or sore gums. Let your dentist or hygienist know if you are in pain or discomfort so they can be gentler and check for other issues.
Call Sedro-Woolley Family Dental Center if you have not had a cleaning in six months. Most dental cleanings are usually done two cleanings per year. We are here to help you and your entire family to maintain your oral health at its best and to restore your smile. Call us at (360) 855-0351 to book your appointment. Or visit our dental clinic located at 830 Metcalf St, Sedro-Woolley, WA 98284 to have us care for your oral health.