At Sedro-Woolley Family Dental Center, we are committed to caring for your smile as well as your overall wellness. We take an all-inclusive approach to your dental care, which includes an oral cancer screening as part of your regular exam. Similar to other types of cancer, oral cancer can be fatal if not identified and cured in its initial stages.
We have the necessary skills and tools to make sure the early signs and symptoms of oral cancer and precancerous conditions are identified. While other, lesser problems may also be responsible for these symptoms, it is very significant to visit our office to rule out the probability of oral cancer.
What Are the Symptoms of Oral Cancer?
- The most regular symptoms of oral cancer include:
- Red or white spots or sores in the mouth
- A sore that oozes blood and does not heal easily
- A lump, thickened mass, or rough spot
- Tenderness, pain, or numbness in the lips or the mouth
- Difficulty speaking, chewing, swallowing, or moving the jaw or tongue
What Is the Process of Oral Cancer Screening?
Our dentists will perform a simple, rapid screening that includes a thorough exam of your oral cavity and not just your teeth to discover cancerous and precancerous conditions. In addition to a visual examination of your mouth, we will also feel the tissue of your mouth and throat to detect any irregularities. If we find an area of worry, we may further perform a simple brush test to gather cells from a suspicious abrasion in the mouth and send them to a lab for analysis. Based on these test results, we may recommend a biopsy.
How Can Oral Cancer Be Prevented?
Besides getting an oral cancer screening done during your routine checkup at our office, there are several steps you can take to help avert oral cancer.
- Avoid all tobacco products.
- Drink alcohol in moderation.
- Maintain a healthy, balanced diet.
- Limit your exposure to the sun.
- Use sun-protective lotions on your skin as well as your lips.
Early detection of oral cancer can improve the chance of successful treatment. Call our office, Sedro Woolley Family Dental Center in Sedro-Woolley, WA 98284 at (360) 855-0351, and schedule an appointment for an oral cancer screening test.